Sunday, April 15, 2012

Weekend Punk Pick: Bad Religion



Bad Religion (along with Dead Kennedys) is a big reason why I latched on to punk rock as a teen. I probably would have dropped punk if I hadn't discovered these wordy Californians. While I enjoyed the bratty attitude of most punk bands, too much of it was juvenile and pointlessly dumb. Bad Religion were one of the first bands of real substance I found, a band that respected its audience enough to drop an OED's-worth of sesquipedalian words (name another band that's casually dropped "pusillanimous" in a song) while still banging out some of the finest SoCal hardcore you will ever hear. After i ran out of Carcass Word of the Day material I thought about doing the same for Bad Religion. May be worth reconsidering that idea.

4 comments:

gamefaced said...

for a skeptical girl who grew up immersed in holy southern baptist, bad religion means much for me. his lyrics helped me learn i was, justified and pretty fucking righteous, going against the grain.

steve57 said...

I learnt the word 'pusillanimous' from the back of the Jesus Built My Hotrod 12" - (Short, pusillanimous So-they-can-fit-more-commercials-on-the-radio edit)

This shit is educational!

gamefaced said...

um, ministry. more education.

Andrew Childers said...

hooray for bands who spew big words!