Thursday, December 5, 2013

Sabbatical, Bloody Sabbatical



The time has come for me to step aside. After six years and more than 800 posts, I’ve written myself out. I’ve said what I’ve wanted to say and interviewed the bands I’ve really wanted to talk to.
It may not be permanent. For now I’m thinking of it as a sabbatical, but either way I need a blog break. Writing has become a struggle and I’ve found myself missing the deadlines I set for myself and not really caring all that much. I’m just kind of burned out. Right now I’m looking at almost 50 albums that people have graciously submitted for review and I just can’t find the energy to get to them all. I keep finding myself listening to old albums I grew up with rather than the new music people share with me. Having people ask you to listen to their art and offer an opinion is a privilege and if I can’t approach it with the right attitude then I shouldn’t be doing it at all. So, if you’re one of those 50 people, I sincerely apologize. Especially if you’re the one of a dozen or more I’ve been sitting on for six months. That’s bad even by my laggardly standards.
Unlike the last time I seriously thought about packing it in, this time I feel absolutely no anxiety. This is the right decision for the time being. But before I go (for however long I may be away), I need to thank each and every one of you, everyone who has read a post, left a comment, sent an email  or directed me toward new music. You’ve all made this a very rewarding part of my life the last few years. I’m not going to disappear entirely. I’ll keep the Facebook page going for the time being. I just don’t think I have blog length writing in my immediate future. After I take a few months off to rest and recharge and find my spark, that may change. Maybe not. Either way, it’s been a hell of a ride. In my arrogance, when I started I set the simple goal of having the best grind blog on the internet. In my arrogance, I think I got pretty damn close. Maybe after some time away I’ll find that fire. Or I’ll decide it’s time to close that chapter of my life permanently. Either way, thanks for coming along for the ride

17 comments:

Perpetual Strife said...

Sorry to see you take a break (sticking to your words on this one). But this'll make it all the better when you come back and talk about your kid not really appreciating Horrified enough.

Keep chatting it up facebook/e-mail and don't be a stranger.

God Harvest said...

I'll be waiting...blogger guy.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great recommendations.
It's been a pleasure.

Alex Layzell said...

Andrew words can't really express enough how important your blog has been in getting me into grind and blogging, your blog has been a staple in my internet browsing and in recommendations in my playlist, you will be sorely missed.
Have you considered having a grind related forum? None of the responsibility and hassle of grind reviews and all the joy of talking grind related shit as and when you feel like it.

blasting D said...

hope you'll be back Andrew! you'll be missed.
I don't know if there is one best grind blog but G & P sure is among my favourites.
just post something when you feel like it, we'll be pleased to read you..

Miskatonic said...

You are the best metal related writer on the internet that I am aware of. You'll be missed. Enjoy your rest.

Kevin said...

Dang. You will be missed!

(V) (;,,;) (V)

Anonymous said...

Yes, this blog will be missed! One of the best written and most informative on the web. Good luck with your future endeavors!!! --Steve

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your rest. You deserve it, dude! Your blog is what really got me into grindcore, and for that I've forever grateful.

-bill

Unknown said...

Sad to hear. This blog has been a staple in my metal reading diet for the last couple o' years. I greatly appreciated your hard work in helping me cull through the otherwise impenetrable world that is grindcore. Enjoy your hiatus, but I for one hope it is short-lived and we get to read your words again!

Any favorite grind-related sites I should add to my rotation in your absence?

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear you'll be retiring G & P, if that is indeed what you're doing. I await the resumption with bated breath. Thanks.

VALIS said...

Thanks so much for all your writing- it was because of you that I got super into grind (not to mention some fantastic books). Best of luck in the future and I hope it finds you back here.

Anonymous said...

Good for you! Sounds healthy! You'll be missed.

thedowngoing said...

All the best Andrew.

Pascal Cretain said...

Thanks for the ride, Andrew! All the best, keep in touch, stay metal.

Moe said...

good luck <3

Anonymous said...

Thanks for everything.