Friday, December 9, 2011

You Grind…But Why?: Shantia

Shantia, six string anchor to Dutch grinders My Minds Mine and Blood I Bleed, is easily one of my favorite songwriters working these days. He’s got a stripped down punk quality to his playing that careens between catchy and aggressive amid strangling squalls of delicious guitar feedback. It turns out for Shantia grind wasn’t so much a choice as a calling.

“I was into hardcore/punk right after I was into (speed/thrash/any) metal and discovered this beautiful mix of both with even more speed and anger,” he said. “My band at the time quit in '95. As I had some friends who are/were on the same level as me music-wise, it wasn't even a discussion; we had to start a grindcore band.”

4 comments:

Alex Layzell said...

Having emigrated to the Netherlands, It is a personal ambition to see both bands live some time. I shall be sure to taunt you about it afterwards.

Perpetual Strife said...

Bread I Bleed is pretty cool. I think they should take my name change suggestion.

Andrew Childers said...

if you get to see my minds mine play, you're gonna have to let me see your time machine one day. mmm/bib are essentially the same band renamed after mmm's drummer left.

Alex Layzell said...

Curse my misinformation, but nonetheless time machine development will commence.