Thursday, November 11, 2010

Demo-lition Derby: Super Mutant

Super Mutant
Demo
Grab your Gatling laser and mow down some deathclaws and mirelurks, there’s a Super Mutant in the vicinity. Unfortunately for them, right now their hardcore noise is rather Average Mutant. The songs are a blur of yelps and mediocre drumming, overwhelming the guitar and bass and making their songs faceless. It’s hard to tell how good the tunes might be when you can’t really hear the riffs.
But on the positive side, Super Mutant show flashes of knowing what they’re about. “Gallows” busts out an unexpected ’70s style arena rock solo and “Your America” nicks from Hendrix’s version of “The Star Spangled Banner.” Super Mutant also nail that creepy, reverbed vibe that eeried up the Bad Brains on a cover of “Banned in D.C.”But the death grunts are at odds with the overall punk vibe of the tune.
Super Mutant have that punk enthusiasm in spades; now they just need to set that to tape (or bytes) in a way that’s audible rather than muddled. This is one that could use another run through the studio and a few more hours being honed in the rehearsal space. Decide for yourself here.

11 comments:

Alex Layzell said...

Starting to see a trend of more Powerviolence creeping up on this blog, a good thing by my books, you given a go at New Vegas yet?

Ryan Page said...

Oh Shit... fallout reference. Spent way too much time with those games... won't even buy the new one until I have a good bit of time to waste. Which... according to the way things are currently going is... never.

Weird moniker for a band that seems to have nothing to do with fallout...

Andrew Childers said...

new vegas is and crackdown 2 are next up in my gamefly queue but right now i'm plowing through the sabateur (which i fricken love) and then i'm gonna finally get around to ff13.

Alex Layzell said...

Ahhh a gamer grinder and a zombie film fan, we learn more of the illustrious Mr.Childers, before long we will know the secret of your blogging powers!

Anonymous said...

new vegas and crackdown 2
are next up in my gamefly queue

These should be their newest lyrics

Unknown said...

Borderlands. K thnx bye.

Andrew Childers said...

borderlands actually bored me senseless. i don't get the hype on that game.

Rosemary said...

Nothing brutal nor outstanding during this episode.

Unknown said...

I guess part of the allure is that's it's a cell shaded game that doesn't look stupid to me. I also love the character concepts. Being the RPer I am (D&D/other games every Wednesday) that really appeals to me. I don't like one dimensional first person shooters.

Andrew Childers said...

that was my problem with it. i didn't think there was that much characterization. i just felt like i was grinding through the same scenarios over and over. how many of those warthog things can you kill before dying of boredom.

as for multidimensional characters, i'll take gta4, the bioshocks and the mass effects.

Unknown said...

I didn't play Bioshock, I saw it played through, but beyond the aesthetic I was bored. That story didn't grab me at all. Not that the Borderlands story is amazing.